Monday, December 26, 2011

On the Edge of a Decision

I want to get my novel, Until Proven, into your hands, Dear Readers.

Do I take the traditional route to publication by seeking an agent who will then attempt to sell it to a publisher who will assign it to an editor? If things go well, you may be able to buy the book sometime in 2014. Or not.

Or do I take advantage of all the ways that now exist for eliminating those middle steps, and just sell you the book in a few months? Want a bound book or would you rather have the words fly through the air and land on your Kindle? Your choice.

When I put it that way, it's hard to see why I'd even give Door #1 any thought, but part of the dream is to see a book with both my name and Random House or Simon and Schuster on it.

How many times have I said that it isn't the book, it's the contents I value; the story, not the cover illustration. If someone else's name is on it, I have no trouble with my own concept. But when it's my name we're talking about, well, the seal of approval that comes along with a major publishing house's acceptance is hard to give up.

So I'm teetering on the edge of that decision, and I'm pretty sure I know which way I'll fall. But I just might have to have a cover design that includes a seal of approval--my own.

2 comments:

  1. Such a good question, Nora, and one every writer faces these days. Nice to have so much choice but also overwhelming. One option would be to publish it on Amazon, promote it well and then see if an established publishing house picks it up. I've heard this strategy can work. I do think the days of Random House and Simon & Schuster being the only arbiters of good writing is over, and thank goodness for that. You shouldn't need their stamp of approval to feed proud of your work. There are also a lot of wonderful books being published by small presses, including Press 53, for example, and others in NC. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Methinks that in whatever form your book appears it will be worthy of our time! I can understand the desire to have the major publishers' approval though. Go for it. The worst they can say is "no." Then you small house or self publish and the major publishing houses will wish they had not said "no."

    ReplyDelete